Cars that have low ground clearance, aka flat or stance cars, are definitely nice to look at. Flat car modification is considered to have a sporty and elegant aura at the same time. But besides the visual factor, a flat car also has the intention to bring out advantages, one of which is to improve the car’s performance. Therefore, we often see all sports cars having low suspension setups. So it’s not just style, but also because it has the intent and purpose of boosting the car’s performance potential.
But make no mistake, flat car modifications also have weaknesses. Especially if you modify it in a careless way. The heart wants to look cool, flat cars even look inconsequential. This is actually considered to have a bad impact on the performance of the car. In fact, the worst possibility is of course financially, Mas Bro will be drained.
Reviewing modifications, such as flat car modifications, will indeed return to the mindset of the vehicle owner, Bro. Fashion VS Function, do we prioritize appearance or function? Or maybe both? Of course you can, but it will take time and of course a bigger budget.
Advantages of Flat Car
The advantages of a car that has a low ground clearance, aka flat, might be described as follows:
- The closer the car is to the ground, the lower the gravitational pressure will be when the car is accelerating. So, with this amount of pressure, the car will be more stable. A car with a high point of gravity pressure will be less stable at high speeds or on curves.
- The airflow flowing under the car will also affect the aerodynamics of the car. The air flow will create upward pressure so that it can reduce the grip of the car tires on the asphalt. This theory is also used and can help aircraft take off (take-off). In addition, some car manufacturers also design a diffuser that regulates the flow of air under the car.
- Low or thin car posture will reduce air resistance (aerodynamic drag) when going fast. Like a racing motorbike rider when going fast, the rider will position his body as low as possible. This air resistance also affects the fuel economy, you know, Bro.
- If there is a collision, the risk of a flat car tipping over will be smaller than a car with high clearance or normal daily use.
- As mentioned above, flat cars have a more handsome or pleasing visual appearance.
Weakness of Flat Car
Apart from the advantages, of course there are drawbacks to a flat modified car or low ground clearance. The weaknesses of a flat car are as follows:
- Flat cars can reduce driving comfort. The size of this discomfort depends on how low the car is lowered. In addition, the type or quality of the components used. Flat cars are more sensitive to road surface texture so that shocks will be more pronounced.
- The workload on the shockbreaker will increase. That way, of course, the usage life of the components will decrease faster.
- Modifying a flat car that is accompanied by a change in the tire tilt (chamber) can make car tires wear unevenly. In addition, the grip of the car tires to the ground is reduced.
- A flat car or too flat is very impractical. Moreover, roads in Indonesia, as we know and experience, are not smooth and many bumps up.
- Another impracticality is when it is difficult to jack up or use towing on a flat car.
- Modifying the car to be flat, especially in an inappropriate way, can reduce the life of the spare parts for other legs. In addition, the car can be driven by asphalt, which results in the exhaust or the lower body of the car being damaged quickly.
Flat Car Modification Method
As compiled from various sources, both materials on the internet, videos on Youtube, to asking directly to modifiers, car modification can be done using lowering springs, coilovers, or air suspension.
Lowering springs, also known as sports springs, are special springs designed to make the car flat. This method of use per sport is the most economical and simplest safe way to make the car flat.
Generally, the lowering springs are designed by adjusting the built-in shock. The size or fall of the car using the lowering springs often differs depending on the brand.
However, many people often use different brand shocks and lowering springs. This makes the spring too stiff compared to the shock, or conversely, the shock is too stiff than the spring. This is what makes the use of the lowering spring sometimes results in handling the car not as comfortable as using a coilover where the spring and shock have become one package. Another disadvantage of the lowering springs is that they cannot be customized. So if you want to change the ups and downs of car clearance, you have to buy a new spring. Prices for a set of lowering springs are usually around Rp. 2-3 million.
The term coilover comes from “coil spring over shock” which means a spring that is attached to the shockbreaker. Similar to a motorcycle shockbreaker, lah. Well, Coilover has settings for low numbers or the ups and downs of the car. In addition, coilover also has a type that can adjust the softness or hardness of the shock. For example, if it is for daily use it can be set to soft, while if it is for use on the track it can be changed to hard (stiff). Another type is also equipped with a chamber kit to adjust the chamber. The more complete the function, the more expensive the coilover price will be.
Apart from type based on function, coilover manufacturers also design coilovers based on the needs of the car. For example, there are types of street performance, street comfort, track (competition), gravel (dirt), ultra low, and others.
As mentioned earlier above, the coilover price also depends on the brand and type. For a set of entry level coilovers, it is usually sold at Rp.10-15 million.
Modification of a car so flat using air suspension is arguably very different from the previous method which involved springs. As the name suggests, air suspension uses air bags. This is where the term “On Bags” or “Bagged” emerged.
Air is able to absorb energy better than the spring, this is what causes the comfort of the air suspension to be better than the lowering springs or coilovers. The air in the bag which is shaped like a mini tire is regulated through a compressor which is usually placed in the rear trunk. So you can be sure that the air suspension is much more practical to adjust the clearance height, which is just by pressing a button. In some brands, settings are also available via remote control or even via a smartphone application. Another advantage of air suspension is that it can lower the car as low as possible. Air suspension is synonymous with luxury or luxury. Apart from the convenience and advanced features, this method requires a sizable budget.
The weakness of the air suspension itself is its resistance which is not as tough as the spring suspension method. Especially considering that the road conditions in Indonesia are not smooth and often have holes resulting in the risk that the air suspension will not last long, aka prone to leaks.
Prices for the kits themselves can start from IDR 20 million. Meanwhile, for premium brands such as Air Lift, the price is around Rp. 40 million.