The Japanese four-wheeled automotive brand, Nissan, was once one of the manufacturers known for its fast sedans from the 1990s to the early 2000s. One of the famous and legendary Nissan sedans to date is the Skyline GT-R R34.
The car that is widely known as Godzilla has succeeded in gaining existence thanks to its presence in several well-known film titles such as 2 Fast 2 Furious, Initial D and in the racing game Gran Turismo.
Thanks to these various existences, it’s no wonder the Skyline GT-R R34 has now become one of the most sought-after 1990s fast sedans. It’s just that, because the car has never entered Indonesia through an official manufacturer, but only through the General Importer (IU), the population is very limited.
One person who is fortunate enough to own the Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 in Indonesia is Rian Risky. Even more special, he not only owns the regular R34, but the Mine’s Motorsport version of the R34.
Yes, the midnight purple colored sedan was originally modified by the Japanese house modification Mine’s Motorsport.
“So, in the beginning in 2013, I ordered directly to Mine’s Japan via Hans from the ART workshop in Jakarta. When it was offered, I wanted to build it with full race or street car specs , in the end I had chosen the street car specs , “Rian told Intersport.
Rian continued, after the initial discussion process, his favorite R34 was immediately worked on and modified in such a way by Mine’s Motorsport. The entire modification work process, from the exterior to the interior to the engine, was done directly in Japan.
“Yes, all modification work is carried out directly in Japan. Arriving in Indonesia, stay in fine tune with Mr. Nakayama at the ART workshop. Mr. Nakayama is the Mine’s Head Mechanic directly, ”explained Rian.
Changes on the exterior
Carrying the street car concept , the outer appearance of the GT-R R34 is also made in a racing look that is comfortable for everyday wear. Several carbon body panels are also one of the differentiators given by Mine’s on this R34.
The carbon body panels are found on the rear wing and trunk door. Not only that, Mine’s also installed an air scoop on the hood of this car which aims to provide more air flow to the R34 beast engine.
In order to give this car Mine’s identity, Rian also splashed the entire body of the R34 with a touch of midnight purple which is equipped with Mine’s livery .
Finally, to give the impression of a powerful sedan, the Nissan GT-R R34 is also equipped with Volk Rays TE37 alloy wheels made of aluminum with a ring size of 18 inches. The wheels are wrapped with Advan Neova AD08 tires.
Efforts to maintain an OEM impression on the interior of the R34
Entering the inside, the changes made to the R34 are not many. Rian only removed the standard seat from the R34 and replaced it with the Recaro SP-GT II racing seat for the driver’s side and Recaro SR IV Tomcat for the passenger side.
The racing seats are combined with a safety belt from Takata and a side protector from Recaro. The racing-nuanced steering wheel of the OMP was also immersed by Rian in this car, the aim of course was to make it look a little different and display a strong sedan aura.
“So, I really don’t want to get rid of the OEM feel of this Japanese Car . That’s why the changes are limited to seats, steering wheel, and the addition of a few indicators, so as not to disturb driving comfort too much, ”said the man who is also active in touring car racing and drag races .
The engine is getting more ferocious thanks to significant changes
It is different from the exterior and interior which have only received a few changes. This R34 engine is precisely the part that gets the most totality to get increased.
The legendary engine coded RB26 that was immersed in this car was completely overhauled by Mine’s. Various first-class offal components are embedded in this car engine, such as a set of pistons , conrods , crankshaft , gaskets , to Cam from Tomei, intercooler packages from HKS, to turbine turbo from HKS.
“The engine sector is indeed the main focus to be improved. But even though the engine has been upgraded quite significantly, of course I request it so that the car is still comfortable for daily use. Because of my orientation, how do I get the R34 to be modified in terms of increasing performance but without reducing driving comfort, “explained Rian.
Even though it looks quite perfect, Rian admits that there are still some changes that he will make to his favorite car. The plan is that the ECU sector will be the next focus that he will improve.
“The closest plan is to replace the ECU. Because the aftermarket ECU is updated almost every year and the features it offers to improve the car’s performance are more complete, “said Rian.
With the various changes that have occurred in his favorite R34, Rian admits that he is very satisfied. Even with its rare status, the Mine’s version, making the R34 a lot of people hunt. Not only domestically, but also internationally.
“Yes, this car is very special, yes, because it is rare and hard to find. I even got offers from 3 outsiders, from the United Arab Emirates and Oman, “said Rian.
Even though he has received many tantalizing offers, Rian admits that he is still thinking about releasing his favorite car. Understandably, he felt that he was very much in love with his R34.
Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 Mine’s Motorsport specifications:
- TOMEI RB28 kit (non cooling channel model)
- TOMEI Forged Piston (87)
- TOMEI Forged H-Beam conrod
- TOMEI Forged 8-Counter crankshaft
- WPC machined bearing conrod
- NISMO Main Bearing for crankshaft
- TOMEI Pro-camshaft IN / EX 260 lifts 10.8mm
- TOMEI strengthened metal head gasket
- TOMEI oil cap
- MINES triple flow cam cover baffle plate
- HKS vernier sprocket IN / EX
- Valve lightweight machined
- Strengthened valve spring
- Berrylium seat ring replacement
- Phospor bronze valve guide replacement
- Valve seat cutting
- Modification of machined port
- Combustion chamber machined
- NISMO GT block
- Block balancing plane research
- Main stod bolts (reinforced bolts)
- HKS exhaust manifold
- HKS T 04Z turbine kit
- HKS front pipe (for T 04Z)
- MINES silence VX Pro Titan II 90 (no catalizer)
- MINES carbon radiator shroud
- ARC radiator
- APEXI radiator separator
- ESSENTIAL oil catch tank
- HKS S type oil coller
- BLITZ sus power air filter
- NAPREC 50 throttle
- HKS R type intercooler
- HKS intercooler piping kit
- NISMO intake collector 50
- Air flow sensor less (air pressure sensor)
- SARD big capacity injector 800cc
- SARD fuel delivery pipe
- NISMO big capacity fuel pump for in tank, SARD fuel pump (270L / hx2) for collector tank
- NGK racing plug no 9
- ATS carbon triple plate cluct / CCM processing
- MINES carbon propeller shaft
- APEXI Power FC + FC commander
- MINES carbon trunk spoiler
- MINES Carbon rear wing stay (adapter)
- MINES water scoop
- NISMO License Plate Frame
- Midnight Purple painting
RIMS & SUSPENSION
- MINES ESTA fullspec suspension III FR = 12.5 K; RR = 12.5 K
- NISMO suspension link, circuit link
- CUSCO fr pillow ball tension rod
- MINES aluminum rigid suspension member bush
- BREMBO 8 POT caliper kit 380discs pad winmax N844
- BREMBO 4 POT caliper kit 332discs pad winmax N844
- RAYS TE37 aluminum 10.5J x 18 + 18
- ADVAN neova AD08 wheels
- Front strut aluminum tower brace
- RECARO SP-GT II (Driver’s seat) – RECARO SR IV Tomcat (Passenger’s seat)
- TAKATA safety belt
- RECARO side protector
- OMP steering
- NISMO speed meter
- NISMO Maruti function display
- DEFI-link meter
- DEFI Fuel pressure meter
- DEFI Exhaust temp meter
- DEFI Water temp meter
- DEFI Boost meter
- DEFI Oil temp meter
- HKS EVC IV
- Billion fan controllers