The car is one of the most widely used vehicles for driving. In this four-wheeled vehicle, there is one component that is commonly referred to as a car spoiler. The spoiler is generally located at the back of the car. Many people think that a spoiler is merely to beautify the car parts. Though spoilers have more uses than that. The spoiler actually has the main function of increasing the aerodynamic power of the car when used for driving at high speeds.
By using a spoiler, the condition of the car drifting at high speed can be overcome. Especially in cars weighing 700-950 kg. Where the spoiler will exert pressure on the roof of the car. With this pressure force, the traction that the car gets is much better. So that the car can go and accelerate properly without worrying about drifting or tipping over.
Not only does it increase the aerodynamic power of the car, the spoiler is useful for deflecting dirt on the rear glass of the car, such as dirt, dust, rainwater, etc. Because air turbulence in this area is also a common problem in hatchback cars. In installing a spoiler, it is necessary to pay close attention so that the installation is correct. Because the spoiler is installed incorrectly, it can make fuel consumption more wasteful. Besides that, it can also disturb security and safety in driving.
In the market, car spoilers are considered to be one of the components that are easily available. Both those coming from the manufacturer’s output, as well as those from automotive supermarkets . The selling price and spoiler models sold also vary widely. In addition, the basic ingredients for spoilers also vary, depending on the type and type of car. Spoilers can be used on daily cars or racing cars. But generally there are cars that have high performance.
The main purpose of using a spoiler is to increase the car’s traction on the road. Because if the car doesn’t have a spoiler, then the car must be heavier or the tire compound must be replaced. Therefore, the presence of a spoiler will make the vehicle much lighter and easier to drive. In addition, some supercars or hypercars with an electric spoiler are also useful as air brakes. As previously explained, spoiler materials for cars vary widely, including the following:
- ABS plastic mixed with granular filler for a stiffer spoiler.
- Fiberglass, has more durable properties, but is not suitable for large-scale production because of the long processing time.
- Silicon, has high thermal characteristics and is durable.
- Carbon fiber, a spoiler material that is very light and strong, but is quite expensive due to the manual processing process.
Those were the spoiler ingredients you need to know. There are 4 main types of spoilers for cars, namely:
- Pedestal spoiler, this type is the most commonly used on cars.
- Front spoiler, a type of spoiler that is made to reduce the resistance that can be created by the rear spoiler.
- Lip spoiler, is a type of spoiler that is made with the aim of being an aesthetic to beautify the car’s appearance.
- Wing spoiler, this type is commonly used in racing cars.
In installing a car spoiler , as much as possible must be done properly. Because if it is not suitable for installation, it will not increase the downforce. In addition, if you use a spoiler that is too heavy, it can make fuel consumption more wasteful. Other effects are the same as when using car accessories that are too heavy in general.